Preference for Online Social Interaction: a Research on the Potential Influencing Factors
- Jiang Song, Junfeng Jiang
- Corresponding Author
- Jiang Song
Available Online June 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mcei-15.2015.44How to use a DOI?
- Online social interaction; Preference for online social interaction; Computer mediated communication; Preference; Internet
- [Objective] This paper aimed to identify the potential factors leading to a preference for online social interaction to offline interaction. [Methods]Based on an online survey (N =233) and a SEM analysis, [Results]findings show that: 1) compared to those who were good at face-to-face communication, individuals who were not might prefer online social interaction much more; 2) the higher the popularity level of preference for online social interaction among the crowd around an individual, the more he was likely to show similar preference; 3) compared to those with a limited level of involvement in online social interaction, individuals with a higher level would develop a stronger preference for online social interaction; 4) compared to those with a higher level of satisfaction with their current offline contacts, individuals with a lower level of satisfaction were more likely to prefer online social interaction. [Conclusion]The findings will give some help for users and designers of social networking sites.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Jiang Song AU - Junfeng Jiang PY - 2015/06 DA - 2015/06 TI - Preference for Online Social Interaction: a Research on the Potential Influencing Factors BT - International Conference on Management, Computer and Education Informatization PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mcei-15.2015.44 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mcei-15.2015.44 ID - Song2015/06 ER -