This Policy was last updated on 5 November 2018. Atlantis Press reserves the right to change, modify, add or delete portions of this Policy at any time without prior notice. You are therefore requested to periodically review this Policy for any changes. Your continued use of the Site and the Services shall mean that you accept all such changes or deletions.
1. Information We May Collect
Our Services may collect information from you in two ways: directly from your input or automatically through technology that is integrated in a Service.
The types of personal information that a Service collects directly from you depends on the content and features you use and may include the following:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- Educational, professional, and other background information, such as field of study, current position, practice and your interests;
- Account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card numbers;
- Social network information, such as your social media handles;
- Contributions, such as comments, feedback, posts and other content; and
- Communication preferences, such as e-alerts.
A Service may also automatically collect information about your use of the Service, including:
- Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system, mobile platform, unique device identifier and other technical identifiers;
- Usage data, such as click stream data, including date and time stamp and referring and exit pages, search terms you used, and pages you visited or searched for on the Service; and
- For location-aware services, the physical location of your device.
Atlantis Press may also receive personal information about you from third parties:
- We may receive information about you from third-party providers, for example, when you choose to submit an article to us for publication you will be requested to provide your Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCID). By providing your ORCID, you are authorizing that third-party provider to share with us certain information about yourself.
- We may also use third-party providers to verify information provided by you, including via any articles you submit to us for publication. For example, we may use iThenticate or other plagiarism-checking service providers to check the quality of articles and/or any third-party databases or websites to confirm your publication history.
- We may receive information about you from third parties that are referring you to Atlantis Press. For example, if you are a co-author or institutional contact of a submitting author, the submitting author will be required to provide us with information about you. If you are the referring party, you warrant that you have obtained the necessary consent to share this information with us.
- We may also receive information about you from third parties if you have indicated to such third party that you would like to hear from us.
2. How We May Use Your Information
Atlantis Press is committed to deliver a relevant and useful user experience to you. To this end, we may use your personal information to:
- Provide a Service to you, such as allow access or delivery and process or fulfill an order or transaction;
- Offer you customized content and individualized personalization of a Service to make it more relevant to your interests and geography;
- Enhance and improve a Service, such as add new content and features;
- Notify you about changes or updates and provide you with special offers, promotions, surveys and other information related to a Service;
- Deliver in-Service advertisements and related promotional campaigns relevant to your interests;
- Provide you with technical, product and other support and help to keep a Service working, safe and secure; and
- Identify, analyze and evaluate usage, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and paying royalties and license fees to third-party content providers.
Atlantis Press may also use your personal information to:
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
- Conduct and administer surveys;
- Enable receipt, review, editing, production and publication of articles;
- Comply with our policies, procedures and legal obligations and to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Atlantis Press, our users, employees, contractors or others;
- Protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized or illegal activities, including without limitation plagiarism and identity fraud;
- Provide you with relevant special offers, promotions and other information about products, events and services of ours, our affiliates and non-affiliated third parties such as academic institutions, societies and sponsors; and
- Enhance and improve our products, events and services and develop new ones.
Atlantis Press may on occasion also match or combine the personal information that you provide with information that we obtain from other sources or that is already in our records, whether collected online or offline or by predecessor or affiliated group companies, for the purposes described above.
3. How We May Share Your Information
Atlantis Press shares your personal information with your consent or as necessary to complete a transaction or provide a Service that you have requested or authorized. To assist us with producing and delivering our Services, developing and operating our businesses, systems and applications, processing payments, customer support, marketing, promotion, communications and for other purposes stated in this Policy, we may share your personal information with:
- our agents, representatives, joint venturers, and entities for which we are acting as an agent, licensee or publisher, such as academic institutions, societies and sponsors;
- our suppliers and service providers, including editors, reviewers, credit card processors, customer support, email service providers, mailing houses, shipping agents and IT service providers; and
- our subsidiaries, affiliates and divisions within the Atlantis Press group of companies worldwide as well as certain companies which may provide shared services functions to Atlantis Press.
Atlantis Press may also share your personal information with our affiliated group companies worldwide and with academic institutions, societies, sponsors and other non-affiliated third parties that wish to send you information about their products and services that may be of interest to you as determined by your choices in managing your interests and communications preferences following the process described below.
Atlantis Press may need to disclose your personal information if we have a good-faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation;
- detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues;
- protect the rights, property or safety of Atlantis Press, our users, employees, contractors or others; and
- if Atlantis Press, the Service or a related asset or line of business is acquired by, transferred to or merged with another company.
Atlantis Press will not sell or lease your personal information to any third party. We may disclose non-personally-identifiable information, such as anonymous usage data reports and aggregated demographic and statistical information, with our business partners for any purpose, except where we are restricted by law.
A Service may let you post and share contributions, like personal information, comments, messages, materials and other content. Any such contributions that you disclose publicly may be collected and used by others, may be indexed by search engines, and might not be possible to remove. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
4. Your Interests and Communications Preferences
You can manage your interests and communications preferences when you register with a Service, by updating your account preferences, by using the “opt-out” or “unsubscribe” mechanism or other means provided within the communications that you receive from Atlantis Press or by contacting us. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to a Service whenever necessary.
5. Data retention
We strive to keep our processing activities with respect to your personal data as limited as possible. In the absence of specific retention periods set out in this policy, your personal data will be retained only for as long as we need it to fulfil the purpose for which we have collected it and, if applicable, as long as required by statutory retention requirements.
6. Your Rights to the Information We Hold about You
You have certain rights in respect of the personal information that Atlantis Press holds about you, including:
- The right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes;
- The right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you; and
- Under certain circumstances, the right to ask us to stop processing personal information about you.
A Service may allow registered users to access their account information and make corrections or updates at any time. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user.
You may also request access to other personal information about you that may be held in the Service. If you request to deactivate your account or delete your personal information, Atlantis Press will endeavor to fulfill your request, but some personal information may persist in backup copies for a certain period of time and may be retained as necessary for legitimate business purposes or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements. Atlantis Press may also need to send you service-related communications, for example, related to articles that you have submitted to us for publication, even when you have requested not to receive any communications.
You may exercise any of your rights above by contacting the Atlantis Press Data Protection Officer in the manner indicated in Section 10 of this Policy, or in the case of preventing processing of your personal information for marketing activities, also by checking the relevant boxes on forms that we may use to collect your data for marketing purposes.
7. Data Security
Atlantis Press has implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security as well as appropriate administrative and physical security measures in order to protect your personal information against loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Only authorized Atlantis Press personnel are provided access to personal information and they are required to treat such information as confidential. Atlantis Press will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to provide you with the Services that you have requested from us or for as long as otherwise permitted by law.
Notwithstanding the precautions mentioned above, the transmission of information over the Internet is not always completely secure. Although we do our best to implement measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, you acknowledge that Atlantis Press cannot always guarantee the security of information that you send to us over the Internet or that unauthorized persons will not obtain access to your personal information. Once Atlantis Press has received your information, we will use appropriate measures to protect it in accordance with the information in this section of the Policy.
8. Cross-Border Transfer of Information
Your personal information may be transferred from time to time to Atlantis Press offices or personnel, or to suppliers or other third parties, or to servers and facilities, which are located in other countries or regions than your own. Atlantis Press has taken measures to ensure that your personal information continues to be adequately protected and processed in accordance with this Policy wherever it is located. By using the Services and submitting personal information through them, you voluntarily consent to such cross-border transfer and hosting of this information.
9. Links to Third-Party Websites and Services
Our Services may contain links to websites and services which are operated by third parties. Atlantis Press cannot control and is not responsible for the information collection practices of such third-party websites and services or how such third parties may use or disclose personal information that you may provide to them. As such, we urge you to exercise caution before providing any such third parties with your personal information and encourage you to review and understand the privacy policies for these websites and services to find out how they collect and use your personal information and for what purpose.
10. Protection of Children
Atlantis Press understands the importance of protecting children’s privacy, especially in an online environment. Our Site and Services are intended for adults which are at least eighteen (18) years of age and they are not designed for or directed at children that are thirteen (13) years or younger. Atlantis Press will not intentionally collect or maintain any personal information about anyone under the age of thirteen (13).
If you have any questions, comments or requests with regard to this Policy or our processing of your personal information, please direct these to our Atlantis Press Data Protection Officer at the following address:
Atlantis Press SARL
Attn: Data Protection Officer
29 Avenue Laumière