Research on the Effect of the Base Cavity with Different Length Upon the Projectile
- Haibo Lu, Xianrui Shi, Shiying Tian, Quan Gan
- Corresponding Author
- Haibo Lu
Available Online June 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mcei-15.2015.6How to use a DOI?
- Projectile with base cavity; Terminal length; Flow field; Aerodynamic drag; Numerical simulation
- Base cavity configuration is a useful choice to reduce the base drag of projectiles. This paper interests in the influence of the cavity length on the projectile with base cavity. Base cavity with different length, including terminal one, were investigated numerically. The flow field parameters (Mach number, stream line, temperature and pressure), aerodynamic drag coefficient of the projectile with different length base cavity under a supersonic flow condition were obtained. Numerical results show that the recirculation region which is formed inside the base cavity plays a pivotal role for the reduction of the drag. With the increasing of the cavity length, the aerodynamic drag of the projectile reducing monotonously, even the length increases into a terminal one. If others influencing factors (such as charge mass, structural strength, etc.) were considered, a deeper base cavity is benefit to reduce the aerodynamic drag of the projectile and increase the range of fire.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Haibo Lu AU - Xianrui Shi AU - Shiying Tian AU - Quan Gan PY - 2015/06 DA - 2015/06 TI - Research on the Effect of the Base Cavity with Different Length Upon the Projectile BT - International Conference on Management, Computer and Education Informatization PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mcei-15.2015.6 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mcei-15.2015.6 ID - Lu2015/06 ER -