Managing Endocrine Disorders in Adults After Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation
- Juliana Matthews1, *, Dwight Eplin2, Bipin Savani3, Barbara Gisella Carranza Leon1, Leslee Matheny11 Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN2 Division of Stem Cell Transplant, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Nashville, TN3 Division of Hematology and Oncology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center & Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Nashville, TN*Corresponding author. Email: Juliana.email@example.com
- Corresponding Author
- Juliana Matthews
- https://doi.org/10.2991/chi.d.190917.001How to use a DOI?
- Stem cell transplant, Endocrine complications, Post-transplant diabetes, Transplant complications, Transplant survivorship
Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) has become a potentially curative therapy for an increasing number of malignant and non-malignant conditions. As survival rates continue to improve, the focus of patient care has shifted from managing not only immediate but also long-term complications. Endocrine disorders are among the most prevalent late effects following HSCT. Detecting and treating such conditions offer new challenges, as well as opportunities to reduce preventable morbidity and mortality associated with HSCT. Our objective is to summarize recent literature and describe practical approaches to screening for and managing endocrine-related late effects. We focus on dyslipidemia, diabetes, thyroid disorders, osteoporosis, and hypogonadism. Mechanisms, monitoring, and management recommendations for each disorder are outlined. Growing data on these disorders in the post-transplant setting highlight the need for future study and evidence-based guidelines.
- © 2019 International Academy for Clinical Hematology. Publishing services by Atlantis Press International B.V.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC 4.0 license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Juliana Matthews AU - Dwight Eplin AU - Bipin Savani AU - Barbara Gisella Carranza Leon AU - Leslee Matheny PY - 2019 DA - 2019/09 TI - Managing Endocrine Disorders in Adults After Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation JO - Clinical Hematology International SN - 2590-0048 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/chi.d.190917.001 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/chi.d.190917.001 ID - Matthews2019 ER -